Deep Time Journey Forum Professional Development in Deep Time Education

This topic contains 27 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Di Shearer Di Shearer 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jennifer Morgan
    Jennifer Morgan
    Participant

Hello Everyone,

I just got back from a Montessori in the Mountains Retreat in Estes Park, Colorado where I gave a program in Cosmic Education.  So inspiring to see what’s happening in the Montessori world with the deepening of this approach to education.

In addition to you all I have gotten terrific feedback from Ursula Goodenough, Michael and D’Neil Duffy, Karen Kudebeh, and others.  I should have a revised version posted on the Network soon.  Just this process of integrating the wisdom of this Network has been pretty amazing.

Thanks Terri for joining in and giving your perspective about religious education.  You can see how the principles can easily be tweaked for religious education. 

Will be in touch again very soon,

Jennifer

Profile photo of Michael Duffy
    Michael Duffy
    Participant

Jennifer,

Your principles of deep time education are perfectly compatible with the philosophy of Montessori’s cosmic education, and they help articulate the implications of our program of education. I agree with everything you have on the list of principles.
    1) orienting to an evolving universe – this is the basis of cosmic education.
    2) matrix – grounding in the Earth community is a major theme of cosmic ed
    3) awe and wonder – this is the aim of our impressionistic lessons
    4) reflection and discernment – if knowledge of the universe story and the earth matrix doesn’t lead to good choices, it has no purpose
    5) action and evaluation – this seems to just give more detail and specificity to #4
    6) passion, place and purpose – I misread “place” as “peace,” which betrays my orientation to the aim of cosmic ed, to create an environment of peace and determine the human / personal cosmic task
    7) framework and continuum – we look upon our cosmic ed curriculum as the foundation for a deeper and broader understanding as our students climb the spiral of further education. For example, differentiation, interiority and communion are concepts addressed in our curriculum only at an introductory level, to be explored at later levels of education to get a fuller appreciation of their place in the big picture. It would be helpful to us in Montessori to be aware of those elements in our teaching.
    Thanks for what you are doing.

Michael

Jennifer Morgan
    Participant

Thanks a million Sam and Michael for your feedback!  I’m revising the Priniciples . . . incorporating your feedback and feedback from others.  Getting better and better!

Hi Everyone,  This post is a test to see if posts are working in the back end as they should.  Jennifer 

Profile photo of Orla Hazra
    Orla Hazra
    Participant

Greetings all!  I just tried to upload my document on Ignatian Pedagogical Paradigm in the Context of an Evolutionary Universe but it would not ‘take’.  Will try again tomorrow.  IPP is the pedagogy associated with Jesuit schools internationally and was developed reflecting the integral spirituality of St Ignatius of Loyola.  Unfortunatly, the practice of the pedagogy is no longer integral because the mindsets of many teaching are not integral…they are cartesian The Ignatian process is context, experience, reflection, action and evaluation. Currently ‘issues’ in Jesuit schools are dissected anthropocentrically so context is interpreted as the ‘issue’ in the students environment (meaning life situation but devoid of overall context).  

When I wrote my dissertation I was tracing the narratives of the patterns of body/Earth/Cosmos alienation, awakening, and connection through the fourfold wisdom conversation (science, religion, women and indigenous peoples). In religious terminology that movement, that story,  is called ‘conversion’, awakening, metanoia….each tradition has a name for it…..the great epics of the west and some of the East also reflect stories of ‘homecoming’ .  That research was completed in 2009..then I thought for a while.  

I know pedagogy needs to be grounded in an evolutionary universe to foster integral understanding.  that is what humanity needs.  I routed out some materials and then began to read articles on Jesuit Pedagogy because I had received my PhD from a Jesuit School , in the department of Religion and Religious Education,  but was unaware of IPP…so far has the fundamental vision of Ignatius gone astray, perhaps like the vision of Montessori.!!  Then it struck me one day ……how perfect the IPP was for the work we do….we are following IPP itself…we start with context, but the fundamental context…of which is still being ignored by the teachers in most Jesuit schools.

We’ve been given the task to redesign the ‘environment course’ a mandatory course all freshmen take.  We did it this semester and clumsily inserted the Story, we have no texts etc etc.  They are not going to buy a text even if there was one available.  I am looking for some pdf’s i can distribute so if any of you have any you want to forward please do so!  I have downloaded much of the material on dtj and will use some of it for the next mandatory course on ‘giving voice to values’…it is a perfect combination when we redesign the curriculum..the first semester is the integral story and then the next one would be ‘giving voice to integral values’….identifying them and then putting them into practice in community service (they now have mandatory community service (ie social work) so now with an expanded notion of what the term ‘social’ means with ‘all our relations’ we are asking that environment issues be added to the choice students have of service education. 

Lyle, you had asked about cartesian cosmology…the best thing to do is to read my article on the web ‘awakening the Cartesian Dreamer’ and it is on page 153.  It is a good article summing up the work we do, and putting it into a framework of ‘education/cosmology and understanding/practice.  At the time i wrote it I was not as articulate as i am now with IPP.  Tomorrow, hopefully, you will see the beauty of the IPP model to describe the work we do when i can upload that document !!

Rich….I would be interested in how your research model can be applied to the narratives in the IPP document.  I divide the narratives according to the shift in perspective etc..because my research style is narrative and I am showing the ‘religious’ (ie integral) shift.  It would be good to somehow quantify the data as well but I do not know the methodology.  I have a pre and post course survey students take but I don’t know how to make sense of the data collectively.    

I have not digested the materials yet from our dtj artist community, but will by tomorrow.  We have an annual student event at Xaviers called Malhad which is arts based.  This year we asked the environment class to observe (when they were developing their projects and events etc) how ‘green ‘ were the activities, how green was the intention behind the project, what were the social justice issues….how could they take what they were learning in class out into the festival itself.  They came back and put on a debate on banning plastics on campus!!

Jennifer:  Now that I am ‘out’ with Jesuit Pedagogy you will need to add Ignatian Pedagogical Paradigm to the framework choice of reading selections along with Montessori.  Hopefully others will come along! 

Jennifer Morgan
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

Here is the link to Orla’s paper about Ignatian Pedagogy in an Evolving Universe in connection with class she recently taught at St. Xavier’s in Mumbai, India.  She just uploaded it today.

IGNATIAN PEDAGOGY in an Evolutionary Universe: Report on Honours Course, St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai, India

You will see right away Ignatian thread that’s represented in the Principles of Deep Time Education, thanks to Orla!  And yes Orla, I will add a credit line in the bibliography.  I’ve gotten some great feedback about the Seven Principles of Deep Time Education and will post a revised version next week. 

We’re doing some work in the back end of the site and have a little trouble with notifications.  You should be receiving notifications in your personal in boxes each time someone makes a new post.  If you could just drop me a note, can be to my personal email at [email protected] to say that you’re receiving them that would be fabulous . . . thanks so much!

Love to all!

Jennifer

Jennifer Morgan
    Participant

Hello Everyone,

So sorry it’s taken me this long to revise the Seven Principles of Deep Time Education.  There’s a lot happening behind the scenes right now with computer programming and organizing of the upcoming professional development programs which will start in January.  Super excited about what’s coming and their potential.  Please find the revised version here which has integrated the suggestions I’ve received thus far. 

https://deeptimejourney.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Principles-of-DTE-10-21-15PDF.pdf

Again, this is a new version is certainly not the last.  I always like the phrase “provisional but not arbitrary” . . . that’s what this new version is . . . provisional but not arbitrary.  Feel free to send any further suggestions. 

Enjoying a beautiful golden fall day here in Princeton.

Sending all my best,

Jennifer

Profile photo of Imogene Drummond
    Imogene Drummond
    Participant

Jennifer,

The clarity of your vision, and the depth of your synthesizing information with wisdom is phenomenal. What breath-takingly impressive, important, and exciting work. Well Done!

Imogene

Jennifer Morgan
    Participant

Thanks Imogene.  My pleasure, and thanks to you too Terri.  And thank Kyle for noticing the repetition.   I did a minor revision and yes Terri I did add my books (thank you!) and re-posted.  It’s the same link as before, but here it is again: 

Principles of Deep Time Education

Looking forward to spreading the principles along with descriptions of the upcoming professional development programs.  Step by step. 

If you notice anything else, be sure to make a comment.   Afterall, it’s an unfinished Universe!  We’ll just keep on revising . . . just as the Universe does.  The 7th principle re structure and continuum will be the most important area of development as we link together the levels into a continuum, drawing on the wisdom of so many teachers and teacher trainers who are already doing it!

Love to all,

Jennifer

Profile photo of Mike Bell
    Mike Bell
    Participant

Jennifer,
    Thomas Berry, in his Foreward to Ann Marie Dalton’s book A Theology For the Earth, noted that he was not a theologian and “my intent has been simply to present and to leave to the reader to respond out of whatever background the reader might have. This transformation from his ideas to our situations was what he meant by a functional cosmology—telling the Great Story in our different contexts.

This curriculum for teachers is, I think, the best example of a functional cosmology I’ve ever seen. Most of us simply repeat what Thomas said in different language. We fail to make the transition from one context to another context—in this case the classroom context and the minds of students. Further, this project, to use the old term,”has legs.” Training the teacher ensures that this fundamental knowledge will be passed on to succeeding classes of students.

Thanks for organizing this. Great Work

Jennifer Morgan
    Participant

Thanks so much Mike. I really appreciate your comments. The Principles of Deep Time Education are very much still evolving. I was wondering what you think of the use of the word “Love.” Love makes some people squeamish or dismissive. What better word could there be? I have dinner with Claire Durand, another Network member, last night and we tried on the word “Reverence” which is such a powerful word and describes very much I think we’re hoping for here in the sense that reverence for the Earth and Universe is crucial for entering into the the larger creativity of the Universe to bring about a flourishing future. Other words I’ve used scientists use are “Cherish” and “Devotion,” a word that Teilhard used. Does reverence sound to churchy? It says more than the word “Respect” which feels more distant. Any thoughts would be most helpful! Thanks for your on-going contribution Mike!

Profile photo of Mike Bell
    Mike Bell
    Participant

Jennifer,

The word “love” sometimes evokes the idea that you cannot love a ‘thing”– and of course Earth is not a thing but many people think of it as a “thing out there” . The word “reverence”, though it sometimes suggest “religion” is a bit more general and all-embracing (for me at least) and literally means “awe and wonder”. I think when most people see a beautiful painting or landscape of a natural scene they might say it evokes “reverence” before “love.” I prefer “reverence” but this might just be one of those “de gustibus” things.

Profile photo of Di Shearer
    Di Shearer
    Participant

I’m searching for the recorded Q&A of Unrolling the Scroll of Life. Does this exist or have I imagined it?

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.