A Cosmic Program: It’s Not Just Elementary, It’s for Everyone!
Dr. Michael Dorer
Levels: Primary & Elementary
Dr. Michael Dorer
Levels: Primary & Elementary
CPD Hours: 4
I couldn’t have been happier with the response from my staff. One of my lead teachers with 40 years of Montessori experience was so fired up she said that was probably the best lesson she has ever seen on the topic. She thanked me repeatedly for bringing this training to our campus.
We watched lesson 2 this morning and had a wonderful discussion on cosmic education and how we are implementing it as the foundation of our Montessori program. The lesson truly inspired those on staff who already had a good understanding of it, and for the rest of the staff who didn’t, it really helped them catch hold of a vision for cosmic education. My curriculum director turned to me with starry eyes and said this is what we have needed for so long. We are going to be talking about these lessons all year long!
Steven Whewell, Head of School, Hill Country Montessori School
“When I look up in the universe, I know I’m small but I’m also big. I’m big because I’m connected to the universe, and the universe is connected to me.” Neil deGrasse Tyson
This course offers an overview of the Montessori Cosmic program and discusses how it begins in Early Childhood and extends in a continuum across all levels. It begins with an overview of the meaning and use of the cosmic concept – what does cosmic mean? What is encompassed? What are its components? The course next addresses Cosmic components and programming from Montessori Children’s House (Preschool) through both elementary levels. with a short discussion of the secondary program. This course offers key definitions and descriptions of all themes and topics related to the Cosmic Plan, Cosmic Tasks, and Cosmic Education. Underlying principles of cosmic education include ideas such as: All life has value, a holistic vision, humanity can be a collaborator with nature, altruism, selfishness, and a sense of awe, wonder, humility and gratitude. Cosmic themes common to in early childhood and elementary are: the universe, life, humanity, communications and math. Dr. Dorer shows how these themes start in primary and then extend into the great themes and stories in elementary. Gratitude and appreciation, practical life, and values such as honesty and fairness and cooperation naturally flow out of these themes in both primary and elementary.
The course is offered in three 45-minute lectures, followed by a Live Q&A with Dr. Dorer, who will also be available for personalized questions, answers and discussion with participants on the course forum.
One Minute Video About This Course:
Three lecture lessons:
- It’s Cosmic! An overview of what is a cosmic program, its components and application. What is the place of mindfulness.
- The Original Focus: The Elementary Level and its thematic approach. This lecture explores the idea that everything is cosmic at the elementary level. This lecture is presented before the Primary to act as a point of reference and comparison.
- Where it all Begins: Cosmic programs at the Primary level, how do they work. Is this something new? Then what: A brief look at adolescent programming. Finally, bringing it all together into a seamless cosmic package.
- Learn the key elements of the Montessori Cosmic program and all its implications.
- See the connections between the Elementary, Primary and Adolescent cosmic approaches.
- Understand the scope of Cosmic Education.
- Identify key elements of Cosmic Education and match them with specific activities & developmental levels
- Be able to begin implementation of Cosmic Programming in your school, homeschool, or classroom.
- Cosmic Education as a Continuum Across All Levels, with Dr. Betsy Coe and Ann Sutton
- The Deep Time Framework, with Jennifer Morgan
Michael Dorer is an internationally trained Montessori educator, specializing in Montessori curriculum and materials, and Montessori teacher education. He has worked with children from toddlers to middle schoolers in Montessori education beginning in 1969, and with teaching graduate student adults in Montessori education since 1978. Michael’s educational background includes a doctorate in Instructional Leadership, and Montessori credentials from both the American Montessori Society and the Association Montessori Internationale. Michael has served as President of the International Association of Montessori Educators, the Minnesota Montessori Alliance, and The American Montessori Society; with extensive time on each of their boards. Dr. Dorer’s new book The Deep Well of Time: The Transformative Power of Storytelling in the Classroom, (Parent Child Press, 2016) explores the power of storytelling in cosmic education as well as all other subjects.
Michael has written and published the following Montessori album textbooks:
- SIZES: Montessori Geometry for Elementary II,
- SHAPES: Montessori Geometry for Elementary I,
- NUMBERS: Montessori Arithmetic for Early Childhood and Elementary I,
- CALCULATION: Montessori Arithmetic for Elementary II,
- TIME: Montessori History for Elementary I,
- EARTH: Montessori Geography for Elementary I, and
- Co-authored (with Rose M. Dorer) WORDS: Montessori Language for Elementary I.
Michael is retired as Founding Director of the Institute for Montessori Innovation at Westminster College in Salt Lake City, UT, and as past Director of the Center for Contemporary Montessori Programs at St. Catherine University in St. Paul, MN. He is presently a Senior Consultant for The Montessori Foundation and frequent speaker.