A foremost thinker on science and religion argues that an adequate understanding of cosmic history requires attention to the emergence of interiority, including religious aspirationOver the past two centuries scientific advances have made it clear that the universe is a story still unfolding. In this thought-provoking book, John F. Haught considers the deeper implications of this discovery. He contends that many others who have written books on life and the universe—including Stephen Hawking, Stephen Jay Gould, and Richard Dawkins—have overlooked a crucial aspect of cosmic history: the drama of life’s awakening to interiority and religious awareness. Science may illuminate the outside story of the universe, but a full telling of the cosmic story cannot ignore the inside development that interiority represents. Haught addresses two primary questions: what does the arrival of religion tell us about the universe, and what does our understanding of the cosmos as an unfinished drama tell us about religion? The history of religion may be ambiguous and sometimes even barbarous, he asserts, but its role in the story of cosmic emergence and awakening must be taken into account.
- Creators: John F. Haught
- Used by people who call the work: New Cosmology, Story of the Universe
- Applies a deep time evolutionary perspective to: Religion/Spirituality
- Learning Stages: Adult Education, Higher Education, Lifelong, Secondary 9 - 12
- Types: Book
- Link to Resource: https://www.amazon.com/New-Cosmic-Story-Awakening-Universe/dp/030021703X/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1510863280&sr=8-1
- Copyright Determination: The person/organization that added this resource determined that it is a quote, a link to another website, or has "No Known Copyright Holders." Quotes and and links to other website do not require permission. If you are a creator of this resource and feel that your resource was improperly added, please directly notify the person/organization that added it. If your request is not answered to your satisfaction, please notify the Deep Time Journey Network editors.
- Person/organization that added resource: Jennifer Morgan
- Date Added: November 16, 2017